Monday, March 9, 2020

Universal Health Care - a Personal Perspective

The latest figure I've seen for the USA is that about 11% of Americans don't have health insurance. Tens of millions more have coverage with premiums, co-pays, and deductibles that either wreak havoc on the family budget or make them effectively uninsured, because they never seek medical care unless they are quite certain they have something very serious. I'm not one of those. (I do tend to seek medical attention only if I think I have something very serious, but that's unrelated to health insurance; it's just the way I am.) I'm one of the very fortunate ones. I have excellent health insurance through my wife's employment, and her job (knock on wood) seems to be very stable.
A few years ago I developed an unusual heart condition, the evaluation and treatment of which has been costly.
Today I needed to gather up statements of what I paid in calendar 2019, to submit for reimbursement from a health savings account (HSA) - that device that enables us to pay for our out-of-pocket expenses with untaxed dollars, at least to the extent that we are able to forecast them. (It's like the old TV show "The Price is Right," in that you want to get as close as possible without going over your expenses, because if you don't use it, you lose it.)
After some time-consuming and irksome phone calls, I was able to get the information I needed online, as I hadn't saved all those tree-killing paper statements.
I believe we have a family deductible of "only" $1,000 a year, so I knew I would cover the amount that we put in the HSA, which was less than that.
I looked at the charges billed for all of the medical evaluation and treatment I received in calendar 2019.
I did not have major surgery. (Most of us know how expensive that is just from the information we get from stories in the news.)
Yet my total charges for the year were just shy of $450,000.
Without health insurance, I would be bankrupt or dead (or both, in that order, I suppose).
My cardiac condition is not the kind you get because of advanced age or unfortunate lifestyle choices (smoking, dietary over-indulgence, being sedentary). We so often think of America's health problems as being self-inflicted, and many of them are, to some degree. Not this one. Nope, nobody's fault. Just bad luck.
If this bad luck had been coupled with the kind of bad luck that afflicts thirty-some million Americans - being uninsured - my life would be a financial calamity, to put it very mildly.
What is the moral of this story?
Every American who lacks health insurance is just one unlucky roll of the dice from financial disaster. It is completely unacceptable that people facing dire threats to their health must simultaneously spend time with lawyers navigating bankruptcy proceedings.
I happen to like doctors better than lawyers, but that's just me. Nevertheless, I think people who are seriously ill or injured should focus on their health - not on the fact that everything they've worked for their whole lives is now gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment